The ancient Mylae, the seaside town, is the natural way for the Aeolian islands that encircle a few miles away. Milazzo also has a history: its strategic position makes that contention and was inhabited since ancient times and was the scene of fierce battles. Testimony is its stronghold that has seen a succession of many "masters".
It 's the oldest part of the city and includes the fortified citadel that dominates the medieval quarters which extend to his feet, the slope of the hill. The entrance to the village coincides with the beginning of lmpallomeni street, lined on both sides by the Spanish Military District (1585-1595). Inside the village there are many religious buildings. On the right, along the homonymous hill, stands the Sanctuary of St. Francesco di Paola, renovation of the eighteenth-century church founded by the saint during his stay in the City (1464). The remarkable facade is enlivened by a beautiful harmony with curved staircase, with windows and a gallery above the doorway and is crowned by a soaring gable. Inside, the chapel of Jesus and Mary, is singular at the altar decorated with mirrors and gilded carved wood, the center of which is a delicate Madonna and Child by Domenico Gagini (1465). A little further on, on the slope S. Francis, note the Palace of the Viceroy of the sixteenth century. but in the eighteenth enriched by beautiful baroque balconies with shelves, and later on the opposite side of the road, the eighteenth-century facade of the Church of SS. Savior, by Giovan Battista Vaccarini. Continuing along the path S. Domenico is located on the right, the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, located, until 1782, the Inquisition. Built in the sixteenth century, was profoundly altered during the eighteenth century. When the interior was decorated with stucco and frescoes, the work, the latter, the painter Domenico Messina Jordan. On the left, climb the castle walls leads to the imposing Spanish, the most external and most imposing of the three walls.
"The town and the castle"
The fort was begun by the Arabs (X century AD.) At the Acropolis that was at the time of the Greeks, as amended and expanded over the centuries. Beyond the Spanish city, opens with a large open space on the left, the Old Cathedral (1608), an example of Sicilian mannerisms. Here were probably the homes of citizens with public positions of Milazzo. With the transfer of political and administrative center in the lower city, the dome would also gradually lost in importance, becoming the first store, then a prison and finally stable. The boundary Aragonese (XV sec.) Features five towers in a cone, two of which, close, hide the beautiful gateway with pointed arches surmounted by the royal coat of arms of Spain, Isabella and Ferdinand: a shield divided into four parts (which was born from the union of the kingdoms unified Spain) and supported by the eagle of S. John. Inside stands the castle built by Frederick II, but with later additions. The beautiful ogival portal surmounted by the crest, however, Aragon, just replaced the '400. Inside the great hall of the five bays saw the Sicilian Parliament met in 1295. From the tip of the castle you can enjoy a nice view of the Aeolian Islands (from left: Vulcano, Lipari, Panarea, and in clear days, Stromboli) and the Bay of Tono.
"The lower town"
It 's the newer areas, when built in the eighteenth century., Is the decision to abandon the high city to settle in a flat area and closer to the sea. The center of the lower city revolves around Piazza Caio Duilio, next to which is held every morning, a fish market. The square is flanked on the west side, from Palazzo Marchese Proto (which was the headquarters of Town Hall), on the east side, from the elegant facade of the Chiesa del Carmine, enriched with a fine portal (1620), with a lintel carved with garlands and scrolls, and a niche with a statue of Our Lady of Consolation (1632). Next door is the harmonious façade of the Carmelite Convent, which now houses municipal offices. Continue on the ancient royal road, now Via Umberto I, flanked by some yet unfortunately ruined mansion. On the parallel street Cumbo Borgia is the New Cathedral, a building of the '30s. Inside are some fine paintings: the high altar, the sides of the wooden statue of St. Stefano, S. Peter S. Paul (1531), paintings from a dismembered altarpiece, the work of Antonello de Saliba, who also Adoration of the Shepherds: a beautiful Annunciation by the vibrant colors of Venetian influence and S. Nicholas on the throne and stories of his life, both attributed to Antonio Giuffre, a painter of school Antonelli (late fifteenth century.). At the intersection of Via Cristoforo Colombo Villino meets Greek, in art nouveau style, with beautiful friezes of floral and zoomorphic motifs.
"Capo Milazzo" (8 mile drive)
Garibaldi along the beautiful promenade, flanked by eighteenth-century facade of the Palace of the Marquis D'Amico, and crossed the maritime district of Vaccarella (which begins at the open space of the church of S. Maria Maggiore), take a panoramic road which runs east of the promontory of Milazzo. Upon reaching the Cape of Milazzo, reveals an enchanting spectacle of colors: the bright green mixed with brown burnt Mediterranean which is the rocky outcrop, is combined with the brilliant blue of the sea. From Piazza S. Antonio on the left down a short staircase to the Shrine of St. Anthony of Padua, overlooking the homonymous bay, dug into a cave where the saint who seems to have found refuge from a storm in 1221. Became a place of worship since then, the cave was transformed into a sanctuary in 1575 at the behest of the noble Andrea Guerrera and further enhanced in the eighteenth century. with altars and polychrome marble and plaster bas-reliefs depicting nine scenes from the life of the saint. Returning to the center to the road that runs along the ridge of the peninsula, lined with beautiful villas, you can turn right on the detour that leads to Mount Three, the highest point of this tongue of land, the name comes from the pagan triad, Apollo Diana and Isis (or Osiris) which seems to have been a temple that once stood here in Roman-era greek. From the little square in front of the church of SS. Trinity enjoys a wonderful view of Milazzo and its citadel and on the crescent of the promontory. On the west coast will open in a beautiful stretch of sand and a coastal road that runs parallel to the sea leads to the cave of Polyphemus, would be held where the legendary episode of Ulysses with the Cyclops. In front stretches the wide beach of the Bay of Tono (locally known as Ngoni, from the greek, creek), and later you can see, now incorporated into a tourist facility, the remains of the trap.